Our leadership pathway starts at KS1 and goes all the way through to years 12 & 13.
The Quality Start Award is aimed at KS1 children. This award recognises and rewards schools for their commitment to PE, School Sport and Healthy and Active Lifestyles. Part of achieving this award is a commitment to giving the children an opportunity to lead activities in their school.
This is the next step. Children from years 5 & 6 are eligible to be Sports Crew. They learn leadership skills through games, personal challenges and level 1 competitions. This enables them to lead and support the younger children in their school.
The sports crew training:
- Encourages pupils to take responsibility and develop leadership skills
- Develops personal responsibility, self-organisation, confidence and self esteem
- Promotes integration between younger and older pupils to improve social inclusion across the school community
- Encourages co-operation and develops moral, social and psychological skills within the community
Gifted & Talented
Our gifted and talented programme is aimed at identifying and celebrating G&T students in sport and dance. This inspiring talent development programme aims to enhance these students’ overall experience of sport in Mid Sussex by offering another level of provision to build on their sporting excellence and celebrate their talent.
The Leadership Academy is for Year 9 and 10 students. They work together, building new friendships and creating imaginative ideas to further their own leadership skills and enhance other students’ experience of sport and PE.
- Coaching of sports such as Handball, New Age Kurling, Athletics and Tri Golf
- Developing Team Manager Skills to help organise teams
- Improving their officiating skills with the opportunity to officiate at higher level competitions
- Plan and deliver all aspects of a sports competition for a number of teams
- Learn how to deliver Paralympics (inclusive) sport to young people with disabilities
Young Coach Academy
This is the elite leadership programme, it involves working with local communities championing sport and the values of the Olympic and Paralympic games.
- Increase participation and healthy lifestyles in their school
- Promote the positive values of sport in and through sport
- Be an ambassador and role model advocating PE and school sport
- Be the young people’s voice on PE and school sport in their schools and communities
Mid Sussex Active are always on the look-out for volunteers to come and help get more children playing more sport.
- Leading activity and Coaching
- Helping to run competitions
- Supporting us in planning events
- Website updating